Monday, June 22, 2009

Juggling all the balls

Well I got through the weekend none the worse for it and only missed one workout so feeling pretty good about that.

Friday I had to be up and at the hotel to set up for an all day section by 6:45am so I did not get commute to and from workout on the bike in. I was able to get my endurance swim in before I headed off to the stadium to help set up the Kids Zone tent for the next morning at the 24 Hour Relay of the Kids. Pretty sure I must have counted laps wrong because I did 2500 m (or so I thought) and when I hit my timer at the end it read just under 51 minutes?!?! does not seem right but hey maybe a miracle did happen and suddenly became faster. One can certainly hope so!

Saturday I had to get a 2 hour run in so I got up at 6 had a bite to eat loaded shower stuff and clothes for the day in the car for Joe to take to the stadium and ran down to the Stadium from the house. The run felt good and leg only started to ache around 1.5 hours and then I started to struggle with the pace a bit.

The relay was fun - it was a different experience for me as in previous years I have been very involved in preparation from January onwards and weekend of I have moved into the stadium Saturday morning 6:30am and left the Sunday at around 11am. The Society decided some changes were needed and part of that was to have me help with kids Zone instead of running the Volunteer operation as in previous years. I have to admit I have struggled with this decision and have found it hard at times to not take it personally as I had poored my heart and soul into this and other events for the past 8 years on planning committee and previously as a team member and captain. This year I basically arrived to help set up the zone Friday eve and then helped in the Kids Zone from 10am - 7pm, we tore it down and then I got to hang out for a while. I got to have a tour of the campsites - first time in 9 years and meet some of the teams and got to participate in the half time show - (did that once before but left immediately after song was over to get back to my duties at the Volunteer tent). So really enjoyed that aspect of it - face painting was a lot of fun and helping with crafts but it was very weird to leave Saturday night and sleep in my own bed for the first time in 13 years and then not to be there for the closing ceremony or final total Sunday morning - I still don't know what the total raised was - it just feels odd. However times and priorities change - everything happens for a reason and really I have not had the time this year with all the training so intellectually I know it is for the best but I can't help but feel a little sad.

However I was able to get a great ride in on Sunday morning out to Lions Bay and back. I was a little concerned because I was on my feet most of Saturday and well I had a few wobbly pops at the relay after our shift ended so I knew I was not doing myself any favours for the ride and was relieved that overall I held my own but I am back on the wagon till after Ironman now.

Coach told us all yesterday after the ride that she wants us to register for the Cypress Hill Climb Race this Sunday! Should be interesting.


No comments: